was successfully added to your cart.

Be extra careful with low carb baking and pets

By May 22, 2016Food for thought

Xylitol is very toxic for dogs and often fatal, especially if the animal ingests more than 100 mg/kg body weight of Xylitol. The reason it is safe for husmans is that Xylitol in humans has no effect on blood insulin, blood sugar or on our livers.

In dogs, however, Xylitol has a profound insulin stimulating effect on the pancreas causing low blood sugar (hypoglycaemia) within 10-60 minutes which can be life-threatening for a pet; the signs of hypoglycaemia are loss of co-ordination, vomiting, weakness, abnormal behaviour (depression or lethargy), collapse and seizures. Higher doses of Xylitol can even poison the dog’s liver causing liver failure. The take home message …. “Xylitol is extremely toxic to dogs”.

Leave a Reply